Abetone is a comune (municipality) in the Province of Pistoia in the Italian region of Tuscany, located about 80 kilometres (50 mi) northwest of Florence and about 49 kilometres (30 mi) northwest of Pistoia. As of 31 December 2004, it had a population of 699 and an area of 31.2 square kilometres (12.0 sq mi)
Abetone served as the finish of the 5th Stage of the Giro d'Italia 2015. The stage was won by the Slovenian rider Jan Polanc, who attacked away from his breakaway companions on the final climb up to Abetone. He went on to win by 1 minute and 31 seconds.
ATTENTION ALL 7th GRADERS
European Sister City Exchange
DON’T MISS THIS OPPORTUNITY --- A CHANCE OF A LIFETIME
IMMERSE YOURSELF IN THE ITALIAN CULTURE…
Aspen’s Sister City, Abetone, Italy, will host up 10-12 students and two teachers from Aspen for two weeks in March/April. This may be scheduled during spring break. The students and teachers will stay with families from the region and they will attend schools and experience cultural activities in the Abetone/Florence area. Aspen will, in turn, will host approximately the same number of students and two teachers from the Abetone area in January/February for 10-12 days.
- Fund-raising & Family Participation: Each student and his/her family will be expected to help with various fund-raising events throughout the summer and the following school year. Families will also need to attend all organizational meetings and be prepared to supervise activities in order to make this exchange a success. In essence, this program must be very high on the activity priority list so some after school activities may have to be missed in order to participate.
- Study: All students must agree to practice some Italian from a book over winter break and plan to attend cultural/language classes several times per week after school prior to traveling to Italy.
- Presentations: Students will need to prepare speeches and slide shows to be given in Abetone and in Aspen upon their return.
- Hosting: Each family will be required to host an Italian student in January/February for 10-12 days (ideally but not guaranteed to be of the same gender). Our students will then stay with the same student in the Abetone area in March/April (may be during spring break).
- Money: Every family should be prepared to pay up to $2750, and of that, money students need to earn (on their own) at least $350 toward the trip to demonstrate their personal commitment. Scholarship forms are available from AMS front office. Requests must be made using an Aspen School District/Aspen Sister City scholarship form and must be submitted with the original application – please email Georgina Levey at firstname.lastname@example.org or Betsy Ann Anastas at email@example.com if more information is necessary.
- Eligibility: Students cannot receive a grade of a D or an F in any subject on a report card. Secondly, students who receive serious behavioral consequences (i.e. out-of-school suspension, expulsion, etc) or who make poor behavioral choices outside of school may be dismissed from the program at the discretion of school administrators and Sister Cities committee members.
THE APPLICATION PROCESS:
Note: Students will be chosen from the Aspen Middle School, the Aspen Country Day School and the Aspen Community School.
- Complete the attached application form.
- Write a short essay about the similarities and differences between Aspen and the country you want to visit (see application for more information).
- Be available for an interview and written question responses after school during the second or third week in January.
- Submit your application to Maria Carbonetti at ACDS, Georgina Levey at AMS or Hilary Forsyth at ACS no later than the first Tuesday in January after Winter Break at 3:30 PM.
- Participants will be chosen by the end of January or early February and the first organizational meeting will be mid-April.
Meeting for all parents and students interested in learning more about the student exchange program will be at 5:30 - Location TBD.
All exchange applications and scholarship forms are due and returned to the contact designated for your school (either Maria Carbonetti/ACDS, Georgina Levey/AMS or Hilary Forsyth/ACS).
Interviews for chosen candidates. You will be given an interview time after school between 3:15 and 6:00 PM after school.
Decisions will be mailed home.
First organizational - Location TBD. Attendance is mandatory for all participants and their parents.